This is a great recipe for a rainy day… It is very easy to make it and delicious. Normally I do it with minced meat but my little one is not a super fan of it – so I changed my recipe into a vegetarian one and he loved it 🙂
You can use this filling to stuff red pepper, eggplants etc. If you prefer, you can add fresh basil / mint too. You are free to use your imagination.
Ready to know the details? Here we go!
Level: Easy – serves 4
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 6 medium size zucchinis
- 1 big onion – chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 cup of rice
- ½ cup of water
- Salt & pepper
- Oilve oil
- Cut the zucchinis in half and cut the ends off.
- Use a corer to carve out the zucchinis without breaking them.
- In a pan, cook onions with little bit of olive oil & tomato paste –> for about 1- 2 mins.
- Add 1 cup of rice, ½ of water, dried mint and start cooking them in medium heat. Here we try to precook the rice before stuffing it. Once there is no water left, put the rice aside to cool down.
- Now we start filling our zucchinis. Start filling each zucchini with rice and make sure that you leave little bit of space because once the rice is cooked, it will get bigger.
- Place all the stuffed zucchinis upright in a large pot. Add ½ cup of water & tomato paste, cook them in a low heat with lid closed. This will take around 20 – 25 mins.
- After 20 mins, I always check if the rice is cooked. If yes, then turn the heat off and enjoy your meal 🙂