Yes! cooking a whole artichokes were a great challenge for me! In my home city-Istanbul – we used to buy peeled and cleaned artichokes and now I understand why they sell them like that! It’s quite hard to clean them and you can easily hurt yourself with its thorny leaves.
But don’t worry 🙂 I will explain you how to cook a whole artichokes and I am sure you will keep cooking them cause they are delicious!
Cooking Time: ~45 min
Level: Medium – for 2 person
- 2 medium artichokes
- Half lemon
- Two tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of mustard with Grains
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Salt & pepper
To steam the artichokes I used a steamer machine but if you don’t have it, you may steam them in a big sauce pan too.
- First take a serrated knife and cut the stem.
- Pull off some demaged leaves from the bottom and discard the brown leaves.
- After take your sharp and serrated knife and cut the top of the artichoke a little bit. ( see the picture below)
- Once you cut the top, you will see a Purple leaves on the heart of the artichoke! So try to pull them off but be careful! They are little bit sharp! Once you pull of the purple leaves, you will reach the heart of artichokes with lots of a choke and you may clean them with a spoon.
- Once you finish that, you can place your artichokes in to the steamer.
- Put the half of a lemon juice on the top of it and start to steam them during 45min. Please after 30 min check if they are cooked or not. To understand if it is cooked or not pull off an outer leaf and if it comes easily it means that it’s cooked 🙂
- You may serve you artichoke with mustard, balsamic and olive oil sauce.
- And if it is first time that you cook and eat like this here is a good link that shows you how to eat them properly: How to eat Artichoke! Bon appetite!!